Regis Jesuit HS student media.
  • Chapters
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
    • Chapter 5
    • Chapter 6
    • Chapter 7
    • Chapter 8
    • Chapter 9
    • Chapter 10
Back to Article
Back to Article

Nick Sangalis ’18 – 2016 RJTV Sports Broadcast Portfolio

That's me third from the left in front with the pink shirt. I've had so much fun leading this crew this year. I learned a lot from senior Tyler Ballinger to my right (with the Hawaiian shirt). He has been a great mentor for me.

April 15, 2016

I have truly enjoyed my first year of play-by-play and leadership for the RJTV Sports Network. From experiencing the challenges of setting up and perfecting quality to enjoying the excitement of bringing sports to the Raider fans through a digital platform, I have relished an amazing year of coverage. I have really found a creative outlet in which I can express myself that excites me every time I do it.

I am truly excited about the future of our broadcasts, and with the nearly entire overhaul of members we experienced this year, we will look to build our brand and improve with every broadcast for years to come. This year we added a studio show and a podcast, and I have presented the ideas of adding instant replay and sideline reporting to future coverage, which, being implemented next year, will undoubtedly improve the viewer reception of our broadcasts. It is unbelievably exciting to realize that a year filled with the joy and wonderment of a new, realized opportunity can only be improved upon next year.

Regis Jesuit vs. Legend | 1.22.16

Regis Jesuit vs. Legend |  1.22.16

This game was enticing from start to finish. While Regis Jesuit was the unanimous favorite, Legend managed to give themselves a fantastic chance for an upset. The Raiders, backed by the play of their senior veterans, mounted an illustrious comeback to win the game. Legend missed a buzzer-beating three that would have won the game to end the final quarter. The broadcast of this game captured energy and excitement from start to finish, with adequate production and video quality. The game also showed our coverage staff areas to improve upon in the future, such as improving sound quality. Overall, it was an unbelievable game with coverage to match.

Boys Basketball: Regis Jesuit vs. Overland

One of the first games of the basketball season, this game brought one of the best Coloradan prospects and a top 15 nationally seeded team into the home of the Raiders. It was filled with the elation of knocking down the best team in the state and the 700th career win of the Raider head coach, and not to mention an exciting finish. The sold out crowd made the broadcast even more captivating, with sound quality to match its volume. This game also presented areas of improvement for our broadcast team. The camera would occasionally select a face by placing a box around it, and this demeaned the value of the footage slightly. Not only was this game filled with action packed exhilaration, but was perhaps one of the most fun to cover.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ice Hockey: Semifinal Playoff Game vs. Cherry Creek

Our coverage team was understaffed this evening as well, and so I decided to bring my supportive 10-year-old sister to operate camera. While the situation was not ideal, it was enough consolation to allow me to do what I enjoy doing so much. The experience itself was one I will not soon forget, not only due to magnificence of the game and operation from a professional arena, but also because of the perseverance and determination it took to get there.

With a Semi-Final game for the Raider hockey team approaching, I looked forward to an afternoon filled with unprecedented pro-like experiences. The game was one of the biggest of the year, and it packed fans from all over the state into a pro-style arena. This was not an environment I was accustomed to producing from, and was excited to experience the challenge and its ensuing rewards of great memories and film. However, I was met with obstacles left and right to be able to operate for this big night. NFHS and CHSAA attempted to prevent RJTV Sports’ coverage of this game by precluding our student coverage, even though this side-by-side production is not prohibited. The Budweiser Event Center, the destination of the game, mentioned lack of space to conduct coverage. However, I was content on covering the exciting match up, and offered to cover the game from the stands.

RJ Sports Radio Podcast Ep 1.0 2015

Another new experience for myself, I partook in the production of a podcast show entitled Raider Sports Radio. In this, my partner Kyle Schwulst and I dove deeper in the events of local professional and Regis Jesuit sports while sharing our ideas of improvement or giving informed predictions. This experience was a fantastic one as well, yet another outlet for me to express my creativity through sports broadcasting.

It also became a bonding experience for me and my partner, creating a friendship and showing me the true power of sports in our modern world. This podcast not only allowed me to have fun with local sports topics, but also inspired me to share my passion of athletics with the world. This will manifest itself with improvements to this show next year, such as live interviews as well as with exciting new segments.

This was my first podcast with senior leader Tyler Ballinger. I quickly fell in love with radio and plans to do much more. Here we talk MLB baseball.

RJ Sports Radio Podcast Ep.2

My partner Tyler Ballinger was out for this episode, so I gave it a shot on my own. I had fun talking Broncos and Avalanche. Thanks for Patrick Britti ’17 for producing.

Since, I’ve welcomed my new partner and fellow sophomore Kyle Schwulst to the show and we plan to produce a weekly show next year. We’ve had some guests in studio and produced some on-camera shows as well as audio-only shows this year. There’s lots of potential here.

Raider Sports Recap Studio Show

We started at studio show this year with highlights, interviews and top plays. It was fun to be in studio and talk about Raider sports.  have so many ideas for this show and we are already working on taking it to the next level for next year.

I+didn%27t+have+a+photo+of+my+PA+work+at+girls+basketball+games%2C+but+I+thought+I+would+include+this+one+from+a+broadcast+we+did+at+East+High+School+%28that%27s+me+in+the+red+shirt+with+my+producer+Matthew+Bornhorst+at+the+top+of+the+stands.%29+What+was+particularly+exciting+about+that+game+was+that+we+had+the+East+student+broadcast+play-by-play+announcer+on+our+halftime+show+and+I+went+to+their+court+side+setup+to+be+on+their+halftime+show.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Public Address Announcer for RJ Girls Basketball

I didn't have a photo of my PA work at girls basketball games, but I thought I would include this one from a broadcast we did at East High School (that's me in the red shirt with my producer Matthew Bornhorst at the top of the stands.) What was particularly exciting about that game was that we had the East student broadcast play-by-play announcer on our halftime show and I went to their court side setup to be on their halftime show.

An outlet I never dreamed would be found, doing Public Address announcement for Girls Varsity Basketball was an experience unlike any of the aforementioned. It involved live contact with both the athletes and the crowd, and, while it was out of my comfort zone, it proved rewarding.

I enjoyed adding in-game commentary while sharing the beauty of the game intimately with the crowd. I have always admired the local PA announcers, and this was another exciting way for me to perform like the professionals. I was not immediately proficient at the art, but I grew into it as the game moved along. It was another way for me to understand that persistence and determination have long-term payoff, but through an entirely different way than before.

Ice Hockey: Regis Jesuit vs. Cherry Creek

National Letter of Intent Signing Day Broadcast

Look for my analysis at the end of the broadcast.

Girls Basketball: Regis Jesuit vs ThunderRidge 03.09.16

This was a learning experience because I was the producer and the announcer. I was also running camera as well until I found someone to do that.